Typically when a homeowner discovers water in their home he will immediately shout, “the kitchen is flooded” or “the house is flooded.” This is a common term associated with unexpected water in a living space. After the initial shock, the homeowner will call for repair and clean up as well as contact their insurance company to report the claim. This excitied homeowner will relay the same information to the insurance company, “the kitchen is flooded.” The insurance company files the claim and likely will deny the claim because they didn’t discover a flood. This is a frustrating scenerio for a homeowner and is very time consuming.


The insurance companies have a very specific defintion of flooding and it’s not just a room filled with water. In fact, the National Flood Insurance Program’s definition a flood is “A general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of two or more acres of normally dry land area or of two or more adjacent properties (at least one of which is yours). Read More  It’s usually caused by water levels rising.


This is why it’s very important that a homeowner clearly and correctly identify the damage in the claim. It’s usually the case that this “flooding” is a result of a burst pipe, valve, or faulty water line. The insurance claim should be for the burst pipe damage that caused the collateral water damage. The same is try for a broken toilet or sink that causes water to accumulate on the floor throughout the home. Now you know, it’s not a flood in your kitchen rather a burst pipe the sprayed water everywhere


Read full article on the blog.